Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ta-Ta Update - Four Weeks Post Op

Hello Internet, Family, Friends, Coworkers and everyone else!  Sorry I’ve been missing in action and not updating you on my health progress, but I’ve been BUSY!  You know because Christmas is only THREE weeks from tomorrow!  Can you believe it?  But I am happy to report I am officially done with my shopping and ready for the big event.   All I can say is thank goodness for online shopping.  I am pretty sure my UPS man will have job security through the end of December.
I know the reason you are reading my blog, is to hear what’s going on (besides my Christmas shopping) so let’s get down to a little TaTa talk to update you on my progress.  You know when I decided to start blogging one of the biggest decisions was “what” to name my blog.   Of course, my creative and sometimes raunchy Romeo had many ideas, as well as Brittney.  One of them being “Titty Talk,” but I thought that might be a little much for my Southern Baptist friends and relatives.  So, after an evening of brainstorming with my Blogging Consultant (Brittney) and Romeo, “Busting-Free” was born and the rest is history.
Okay, so back to my health update.  We were in Houston earlier this week to meet with the amazing Dr. BK and Dr. Sarah for a post-op visit.  Dr. Sarah who is now, Mrs. Dr. Sarah said everything looked great and said the pathology report came back showing ZERO invasive tumors from the tissue they removed during the mastectomy.  Yay, we were doing the happy dance right there in the examining room! After we finished up with Dr. Sarah, we headed to see Dr. BK.
I wish you all could actually meet Dr. BK because he is so funny, lovable and a little smug.  But, he is truly a brilliant surgeon and the best in his field.  He was very happy with how my incisions were healing as he was admiring his work (this is where his arrogant personality shines through).  But, I agree he is truly amazing!  This is CRAZY, but I already have some sensation in my new constructed breast where most women don’t experience feeling for the rest of their lives! 
Anyway, even though we all agree Dr. BK is terrific, I had a few complaints about my “new” look.  First, my new lady part is about one third bigger than the other one.  Dr. BK responded that was no problem (as he was winking at Romeo), he said he would just make the healthy one a little bigger to make it match.  Of course, they BOTH knew from previous conversations, I wanted to be smaller, not BIGGER!  I mean, let’s face it, as we get older they just get in the way, make our clothes fit tight in the bust and the #1 reason, they make us look FAT!  I quickly nix-nayed that idea!  Don’t you agree less is always better?  Romeo tried to convince me “smaller” would not match my hips; and therefore, not be as flattering.  If I am not mistaken, I think he just said my butt looks big.   I feel more retail therapy coming in my future!
Second, my new lady part shape has a few flat spots that look a little odd.   Again, Dr. BK assured me he could easily fix that with a little fluffy magic.   Oh the wonders of modern medicine never cease to amaze me.  In fact, maybe Dr, BK can take a little fluffy out of my bottom and stick it in the flat spot?
Third, my tummy incision has a few bumps that need to be flattened out.  I know what you are thinking… I’m getting way too picky about my new flat, rock hard tummy, but hey, keep in mind Dr. BK is the best plastic surgeon in the Western Hemisphere.  Shouldn’t I expect perfection based on his credentials, not to mention the outrageous price my poor insurance company had to pay? 
So all this means is I will be going back to MD Anderson in January to finalize my “punch list” of imperfections and schedule a revision surgery.  I know my manager (Karen) is probably freaking out as she is reading this paragraph because she just told me yesterday “all hell has broken lose” since I’ve been gone from work.  But don’t worry Karen, this surgery will be outpatient and I’ll be back to work pronto (seriously).
In a couple weeks I’ll be visiting my friendly oncologist to discuss next steps.  I don’t believe I will need radiation or chemo since my lymph nodes were clear, but my research indicates he will most likely prescribe a hormone blocking drug to keep the cancer from coming back in my healthy breast.  I understand it has all kinds of lovely side effects, but I guess the benefits of the drug outweigh the risks. More about that topic later…
I am going back to work next Monday, but attending a company party tomorrow afternoon.  I am so excited because it is a “Tacky Christmas Sweater” party.  Since I have had nothing else to do (but sit on my BIG butt), I’ve been working on my hand-made creation for a week.  Oh ya’ll, it is FABULOUS and is more than just a tacky sweater, it’s an entire ensemble (down to the hair accessories).  My Romeo classifies it as “Tacky Sheik.”  I personally think it is just darling and would totally wear it to a non-tacky Christmas party if I had the opportunity.   I’ll post pictures soon so you can see for yourself.  I might even let you borrow it if you promise to give it back.
I assure you I won’t wait another week for an update because I know you are dying to see my lovely Christmas outfit.  Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I came up with "titty talk" while we were at Hobby Lobby...just sayin :-) If I remember correctly, Ron came up with "nipple news"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Miss BB, but I was trying to protect your innocence. xoxox

      Delete
  2. Rofl...ya'll are cracking me up and yes I can see Ron coming up with nipple news...silly wabbit...
    love you..xoxox

    ReplyDelete